Thursday, July 21, 2016

Keeping Current on the History of Cultural Institutions

I realized that I follow few blogs and listservs on the history of libraries. Nevertheless, information comes across my e-mail and my desk.

Here are a few blogs I read that had articles about libraries and their history: 

Two Nerdy History Girls - About Gothic library in the 1813 http://twonerdyhistorygirls.blogspot.com/2016/07/gothic-library-for-july-1813.html
This unusual blog looks at books and clothing. I know, it is a strange combination.
 
While the National Genealogical Society is featured heavily in my Genealogy & Local History course, the librarians and historians to look at their own collection. This is a cute post the traces the history of different types of library cards found in pockets of library books.

You'll just ooh and ahh over the photos and wonder where all the beautiful libraries have gone. To me, these rooms are the epitome of libraries and cultural institutions, just what I think of when I think library. Today, libraries are more stark, full of glass, metal, and windows with barer walls and lots of tables and chairs. I miss the books.

Cambridge Univ Libraries 600th anniversary http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/about-library/600
What a magnificent collection.
 
Obviously, I look at histories and blogs written by libraries, museums, and other types of cultural institutions. I hope you find something interesting on these blogs and websites. I do read books and articles about the topic so I'll add more info as I come across it.

No comments:

Post a Comment